Canned fruit offers great nutrition and is less expensive on a cost per serving basis than fresh fruit. Shelf stable canned fruit is available year-round and arrives ready-to-eat and packaged in appropriate portion sizes. Several university studies confirm that canned fruit is nutritionally comparable to fresh fruit.
UC Davis Nutrition Comparison Study
Results Canned, Frozen, and Fresh – Nutritionally Similar
- A healthy eating pattern includes a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- All forms contribute good nutrition. For some nutrients, canned fruits/vegetables provide more than fresh.
- Exclusively recommending one form over another ignores the benefits of each and limits consumer choice.
- By the time food is consumed, all forms may be nutritionally similar.
- Canned, frozen, and fresh each contribute important ingredients.